Care Assistant (Multiple Positions) (Part Time & Full Time)
- £10.40ph - £10.80ph (higher pay rates for those with a nationally recognised qualification & enhanced rates for weekends & bank holidays)
- Paid Induction
- Paid Mileage
Reports to: Registered manager or supervisor
Purpose of role
To support customers with all aspects of their day to day living, so they can enjoy the best possible quality of life. You will mostly work alone with the customer in their home. Providing care & support offers many rewards, but can also be challenging. Compassion, good communication skills & a calm & caring manner are essential for this important role in our company.
To provide safe, reliable, compassionate care & support to meet the individual needs & wishes of each customer. Each person is unique therefore you must respect each customers' choice about how their care & support is given & promote their dignity at all times.
You may be the only person the customer sees over a period of time, it is therefore essential to report any changes or causes for concern to your line manager promptly. You need to be clear about when to seek help & advice in order to keep customers safe & promote their well-being.
Care & support
Give anti-discriminatory care & support that values the whole person rather than merely seeing a list of care needs. Carefully listen & observe how each customer prefers their care & support to be delivered on a day to day basis. Help them make their own decisions so they can be as independent as possible.
Follow the instructions in the care & support plan agreed with each customer. This may include:
- All aspects of personal care such as showering & bathing, dressing & grooming, dental hygiene, toileting & continence care
- Assisting with medicines, ordering & collecting prescriptions or returning unwanted medicines to the pharmacy for safe disposal
- Supporting the customer to eat & drink well. For example, helping the customer to plan what to eat & drink, giving gentle encouragement, shopping, preparing & serving food & drinks, clearing the table, washing up & keeping the kitchen area clean & tidy, agreeing with the customer how to store food safely & when to dispose of out of date produce
- Safely using aids & personal equipment in a manner that respects the dignity of customers. For example walking frames, wheelchairs, manual & electric hoists, sliding sheets & moving boards, hearing aids & other physical aids
- Housework such as dusting, tidying, washing floors, vacuuming & sweeping, doing the laundry & ironing, making beds & changing the linen
- Social & physical activities or mental stimulation such as keeping in touch with friends/relatives, taking a customer out shopping or to social activities, hobbies such as reading, photo albums, games, etc.
- Supporting a customer through temporary & terminal illness, including end of life care, hospital appointments, liaising with community health support & families
Record & report
- The care & support that you provide & assistance with medicines
- Changes to a customer's condition or other concerns e.g. faulty equipment or hazards in the home
- Response to emergencies, accidents, incidents & safeguarding matters
- Contact with families, representatives or carers & other professionals
- Other matters as required by Bluebird Care procedures
- Keep all information about customers & their families secure & confidential except where policy requires you to share, to protect the interests of our customers
Work well as part of the Bluebird Care team
- Follow Bluebird Care policies, procedures & guidance at all times
- Take part in staff & customer meetings
- Attend training activities, supervisor & appraisal meetings
This list is not exhaustive & you may be asked to carry out additional duties. We will provide you with full training in line with regulatory requirements.